You have probably seen mid-century modern options in furniture catalogs, home design magazines, and coffee shops. They come with exposed and raw finishes that will provide you with perfect comfort and contemporary forms.
Even though they have always been popular, the demand increased in the last few years, and the process will continue. You will get charm in retro, sleek and low-set couches, which are perfect options.
By clicking here, you can understand more about implementing this particular interior design.
However, you should know a few things about this style before making up your mind.
Design Elements to Remember
We can easily differentiate a few characteristics you will get from Mid-Century Modern couches and sofas. The most important ones include innovation, shape, functionality, lack of ornamentation, and contrast.
- Functionality – Like other interior design styles, functionality is one of the essential aspects of designs. It features a proper function, which means that each curve has a particular purpose. At the same time, each angle comes with a reason. Since it comes with an ergonomic design and features pleasing for both your body and eyes, you can use them with ease and enjoyment.
- Shape – Modernist furniture and design feature rectilinear shapes and volumes. However, mid-century modern comes with subtle and sleek curves, which are perfect for creating a timeless form. The result is getting an appealing and clean appearance that will feature a combination of geometric and organic forms. Even though these two forms are opposite interpretations, you should know that they complement each other if you correctly combine them.
- Innovation – Getting inspiration from a future and other designs, a Modernist movement wanted to create something innovative and timeless. Therefore, designers created and experimented with ideas to challenge the forms and functions of the sofa. Consequently, you can find the ones that will feature a combination of experimental and traditional materials contrasting each other. This is a highly appealing concept that will provide you peace of mind.
- Lack of Ornamentation – Mid-century modern couches will keep ornaments to a minimum, so you will not get excess details that can affect the function and create a bold perspective of your living room. Instead, you will get neatly composed and uncluttered couches that are stark due to their simplicity and minimalism.
- Contrast – One of the crucial elements in this style is the emphasis on natural texture and materiality of design aspects. Therefore, contrast is the essential aspect that will provide you enjoy all the way. As mentioned above, you will find opposing elements working to create unique and individual textures. As a result, you will get a contrast that complements each other.
The main idea is to remember that mid-century modern sofa comes with different variations and unique styles depending on the designer’s imagination.
However, they come with similar features, including geometric shapes, natural appearances, and clean lines. That way, they can achieve tapering looks.
As you can see, they use clean aesthetics that come from unornamented, subtle, and classic elements.
Check out this site: http://www.preservationalliance.com/what-we-do/midcentury-modern-initiative/ and you can visit the association that wants to preserve mid-century modern design.
The biggest reason for creating mid-century modern aesthetics came from advancements and new developments in production and building technology.
For instance, plastic changed everything because designers could use thermo-plastic for casting and molding different planes. Besides, plastics and colors of plastics became highly versatile, which created an ability to imitate wooden furniture for affordable price tags.
Different Types of Mid-Century Modern Couches
- The Sectional – You should know that it is highly detachable and unique for different individual parts. It comes with three to five pieces, but it can come with more depending on numerous factors. Since it features detachable nature, you can configure it based on your preferences. The most common configurations are U and L-shape options.
- The Chesterfield – If you wish to get a couch with tufted backrests, you should choose this one. You can place them in a seating or bench position, making them highly versatile compared with other options. As a result, you will get a luxurious and classic appearance that will match your interior design.
You should know that mid century leather couches are significant in economic, social, and political climates, mainly because these factors can affect their aesthetics.
However, it will always be popular, which is one of the biggest reasons you should start thinking about getting them.